Monday, March 15, 2010

Siwa - Day 7

Seventh day trip to Siwa 5th of March, 2010 21:26

Total Distance 834.07km
Distance 209.37km
average speed 25.4km/h

Excerpts from my diary:
Made it to Siwa today, I feel normal, after all it isn't a multi-thousand kilometer trip or a few months long trip, but i can say it has been great cycling that road.
Today a guy at the rest house told me he felt an inner peace when he saw me. I can never imagine myself leaving that effect on someone. I do want to give hope and be an inspiration to many.

Yesterday has been tough, the usual high speed wind against me, lots of tractors, specially coming from the opposite direction.

My stupid cheap rear panniers gave me a hard time. I'll buy Ortliebs that's it, even though I can't afford it.

I loved how the desert expanded on my left and right. After 100km I took a left turn and just 20m away from the road I camped. This is how safe I felt, and a man with a broken car asked me for water for his truck the next morning and I gave him a bottle.

The weather has been magnificent today, wind in my direction and not too much sun.

I seized the opportunity and thought I better take the whole distance today and I did 210km in one day, a record for me.

I have a lot of left over food, hope I finish it with the friend and save some food money.

I'm happy, peaceful and calm...

Photos link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sherif.halim/SiwaDay7#

6 comments:

  1. Sherif I have to say I am impressed! I am new to cycling, and can't imagine myself doing anything close to this in a thousand years... but you do have such DETERMINATION!Keep it up and may God grant u Happiness, Peace and Calmness always ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much, it is so nice of u to say that.
    You don't have to imagine yourself, all u have to do is to just want it, and u'll get it. it hasn't to be a cycling trip, it can be anything else ur heart wishes... :-)

    how did u find my blog???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually my first time to go on anyone's blog... u posted a link on Cairo Cycler's club and i thought i'd check it ;) bas I liked it awyyy!!! It was interesting to go through the 7 days of your trip and see the progress.. some days were tough like when it was so windy and still u managed to do 100 KM!!... others were fine and u managed to go over 200KM!!!!!!! how long have u been into cycling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. most of my childhood till the age of 15 and back almost a year ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again and again life makes a proof that we live in a small world , I have been searching for something related to cycling requested by a friend to find your blog facin me all the way......... Rememeber Hossam El Shoukry ,the comrade of one of the most periods u hate in your life ............u still have the same positive spirit and yearn for knowledge and experience man...... I am really proud of you and wish you all the luck in your trips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well sir yes it's a strangely small world and of course i remember you! i can't believe u just found the blog like that! it's so sweet of u thank you, i really need a lot of encouragement and support. How you been doing? how's life? can you please give me a call whenever u can - 012-340-4887, in case you've lost it :-) thank you again hossam, you really made my day....

    ReplyDelete